Kendra DeColo is the author of I Am Not Trying to Hide My Hungers from the World (BOA Editions, 2021), My Dinner with Ron Jeremy (Third Man Books, 2016) and Thieves in the Afterlife (Saturnalia Books, 2014), selected by Yusef Komunyakaa for the 2013 Saturnalia Books Poetry Prize. She is also co-author of Low Budget Movie, a collaborative chapbook written with Tyler Mills. She has received honors and awards from MacDowell, Millay, Split This Rock, as well as a 2019 National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship. She lives in Nashville, Tennessee.
Find her on twitter/instagram @kendradecolo, or visit kendradecolo.com, and join us in celebrating this monumental reading at Poetry in the Brew on October 8th.
2nd Saturday Open Mic Poetry Reading
Portland Brew East
1921 Eastland Avenue
Nashville, TN 37206
Sat. October 8th
Feature poet Kendra DeColo
Open mic signup 4:30pm
Reading starts at 5:00pm
Choose any spot on the list in the loft. Each person on the signup gets 5 minutes max on the open mic.
Tips are always appreciated, so please remember cash for Patrick and the Portland Brew East crew who stay open late for us. Tips for Poetry in the Brew are welcome in cash or via Cash App $PitBNash, PayPal @poetryinthebrew, and Venmo @ChristineRaquel.
A note from Brew host Christine:
In November 2014, the three original organizers of Poetry in the Brew asked me to steward this event. Come this November, I’m moving on to other engagements, specifically putting my all into finishing this book I’ve left open for over a decade. It is a bittersweet announcement, and while I will surely miss our time together in the loft, I am so excited to share these final two readings with you.
I believe in the power of poetry, of people coming together to speak and listen in turn, of creativity to heal and reimagine what it is to experience life on earth. I appreciate all our moments of sacred communion and look forward to new iterations of all our expressions.
When the Brew started, there were no other regular poetry readings here in town. Now we are replete with offerings! Here are a few where we hope to connect with you, including links to social media/websites for latest updates.
- 1st Friday, 8pm: MOOD showcase/open mic hosted by MAMA, 2524 Heiman Street, Nashville, TN 37208. Email email@example.com to sign up
- 2nd and 4th Thursdays, 6pm: Spoke N-Words of Po’boys & Poets hosts Poetry at the Branch open mic at Copper Branch restaurant, 601 Church St, Nashville, TN 37219 (attached to the downtown Nashville library, can park in the library garage and get it validated)
- Every Saturday, 6pm: Matt Awesome hosts the spoken word open mic at Twin Kegs 2, 327 Hermitage Ave, Nashville, TN 37210
- 3rd Wednesday, 7pm: Wesley Tresch and Caroline Morris (Care the Poet) host Uncorked poetry open mic night at Americano Lounge, 434 Houston St Suite 120, Nashville, TN 37203 (Andrew P. Dillon is featuring at Uncorked on September 21)
- 4th Thursday, 7pm: Poet’s Corner feature at Scarritt Bennett Center, 1027 18th Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37212 (Christine Hall’s feature is November 17, which breaks the 4th Thursday rule on account of Thanksgiving)
- 2nd Tuesday, 7pm: Black Dog Poetry Open Mic on zoom is organized by Sandy Spencer Coomer and Nancy Coats Posey. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up
- 4th Saturday, 3pm: Gestalt Poetry Open Mic hosted by Amy Hoskins on zoom. To sign up, email email@example.com
These groups also host local poetry events:
- The Porch Writers: https://www.porchtn.org/
- Free Nashville Poetry Library‘s Matt Johnstone hosts the Et Al. series: https://nashvillepoetrylibrary.com/
- Poetry in the Boro: https://poetryintheboro.org
- Poet’s Playground is produced by Frizzy: https://frizzyproductions.com/pp-links/
We look forward to seeing and hearing from you soon!
Based in Nashville, TN, and hosted by Christine Hall. For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org